Monday, March 17, 2008

Be Efficient and Integrate Basic skills

"A successful writing program requires a knowledgeable, organized teacher with excellent classroom management skills. Mostly students need lots of time in which to write, a say in what they write about, strategies that allow them to problem solve independently (plan, revise, edit), and helpful response." WOW!! What powerful statements - Regie's definition of a writing program. If I am to raise the expectations for my students' writings, I also need to set the bar high for myself in creating a successful writing program in my classroom!! I know this book will help me accomplish this.

Finally, someone in the know about teaching writing stated that writing has become too complicated. There has been an overfocus on teaching the standards, the 6 traits, rating, etc. It truly does sap the joy and fun out of writing!!


Thank goodness, Regie continually reminds us throughout this book to teach from whole to part and back to whole. Writing summaries or retellings is a difficult task for some third graders. In a small group, we brainstormed the main ideas of the story - we just focused on that task. Upon completion of that, then we went back and reread them and talked about sequence. It was like lightbulbs clicked on. They quickly numbered our sentences into the correct sequence. Then, we were able to talk about how all of the sentences together create a paragraph.

My grade level has created monthly math and reading goals, much like the Arapahoe Ridge 5th grade teachers' writing goals. We have already identified what our students need to accomplish in writing and even created mini lessons in our workshops with Tamara. Maybe our next step is to draft some monthly writing goals to help accomplish the essential skills we expect our students to have.

Several years ago, I bought a packaged Word Wall. It lasted one year. I created my own Word Wall. It takes up one bulletin board and consists of library pockets, one for each letter of the alphabet, with a note card in it. A student may get a card and bring it me for help with spelling a word. The card goes back in the pocket. It is rewarding as the year progresses, to see the word lists grow and students searching the cards for the correct spelling. They are becoming better spellers .

This chapter was chocked full of strategies and techniques and how to implement them. I am sure I will be returing to this chapter often. Thanks Regie!

2 comments:

Mrs. Babcock said...

I agree that writing has become WAY too complicated. It is nice to finally focus on the joy of writing rather than the test.

Bernetta said...

I am right there with you! Reading this book has made me realize that I need to make writing a higher priority and not allow it to be something that we "run out of time to do."